What is the Climate Change Bill and why is it important?
A Bill is a draft version of a law. The Climate Change Bill was tabled in Parliament in February 2022. The Bill will now go through various public participation and law-making processes in order to become South Africa’s Climate Change Act. This important law will have an enormous influence on South Africa’s climate change response. It has the potential to protect our rights, help ensure a safe and climate resilient South Africa and a prosperous low carbon economy.
Summary of Major Climate Impacts
View an infographic illustrating the climate change impacts across three geographical areas (Western Cape and coastal regions, Limpopo/Lephalale, and Emalahleni/Mpumalanga Highveld).
Advocacy Material & Information
- Climate Change Bill Factsheet (English, Zulu, Sesotho)
- Climate Change Bill Social Media Cards (English, Zulu, Sesotho)
- 'What is the Climate Change Bill?' animation (Zulu, Sesotho)
- CER Climate Change Bill Toolkit
- CER Climate Change Bill Toolkit – Webinar Presentation
- Webinar: Understanding The Climate Change Bill Workshop: ACA
- Webinar: Unpacking the Climate Change Bill & commenting guide
- Dealing with Flood Damage in KZN – ‘So Now What?’ with Matome Kapa, Expresso Show (26 May 2022)
- South Africa's Renewable Energy Future Explained - Politically Aweh (13 November 2020)
- Your children will not be able to escape the impact of climate change, says experts - TimesLIVE Podcasts (4 May 2022)